There are many steps you can take to protect yourself from fraud. Find out how you can protect your business, too.
Protect Your Social Security number
- Never provide your number unless you have initiated the contact and have verified the entity or person.
- Never use part of your number for your PIN.
- If you must provide your number in an email or to a website, make sure it is secure.
- Do not allow your number to be recorded on a check, traveler’s check, gift certificate or any other like item unless required by law.
- Do not carry your Social Security card with you.
- Be cautious of your surroundings when disclosing your number.
- Reduce the amount of mail and paper with your personal information printed on it.
- Stop receiving paper account statements. You can request from PlainsCapital eStatements.
- Sign up for direct deposit to avoid paper checks.
- Utilize e-bills and Bill Pay in Online Banking.
- If you must use checks, use those with enhanced security features.
Secure Your Computer and Use the Internet Wisely
- Maintain your anti-spyware and anti-virus protection with the most recent updates.
- Make sure your firewall is up-to-date.
- Allow operating system and software updates as soon as possible.
- Keep your web browser current.
- Don’t give personally identifying information, or account information, online unless you have initiated the transaction.
Protecting Your Account, Checks and Cards
- Sign your debit card immediately when you receive it.
- Check your receipts, monitor your account, and verify the transactions on your statements (learn more about detecting fraud).
- Be cautious when providing your account or card numbers, and if you shop online, make sure the site and Internet connection are secure before making a purchase.
- Contact us immediately if your card is lost or stolen.
- Only use ATMs with surveillance cameras.
- Be aware of your surroundings – especially people.
- Put away your card and cash before leaving the ATM.
- Shield the ATM or merchant keypad with your hand or body while entering your PIN.
- Review cleared check images.
- Utilize identity theft protection products and services – such as EZShield®ID Theft Protection – offered by PlainsCapital and other banks with which you do business.