Honoring Veterans This Memorial Day
You may be one of the lucky ones who gets to enjoy the long Memorial Day weekend. In between the backyard grilling and neighborhood gatherings with family and friends, we hope you will take a moment to remember those who were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice on behalf of our great nation and give some thought to your role in honoring our service men and women.
Here are a few ways you can express your gratitude to our veterans for their sacrifices this Memorial Day:
- If your community sponsors a Memorial Day parade, attending is a great way to show your appreciation and support for veterans. You may even want to reach out to parade organizers and offer to donate water, snacks, or anything else the veterans may need to make their parade walk easier and more enjoyable.
- Contact a local veterans’ home or veterans’ hospital and volunteer for the day. Or, you can simply take an hour or two to visit with the residents there and thank them for their service.
- Visit the local cemetery and place flags or flowers on the graves of veterans. Inquire about their visitor guidelines in advance and to learn where the veterans section is located. Many cemeteries have special sections set aside for veterans.
- Contribute to an organization that helps veterans and military families like the Purple Heart Foundation, Wounded Warrior Project, or Carry the Load, the latterof which PlainsCapital supports along with its fellow HilltopHoldings subsidiaries PrimeLending and HilltopSecurities. Find an organization with a mission that matters to you and send them a donation, volunteer your time, or participate in a fundraising event.
- Help provide a service dog to a veteran with physical disabilities or PTSD. The National Education for Assistance Dog Services (NEADS) provides service dogs for free to qualifying veterans. You can help by making an online donation, sponsor a “doggie dorm” for service dogs in training, raise a puppy who will become a service dog, or become a volunteer.
- Pick up the phone and call the veterans in your life. Almost everyone knows at least one person who has served in the military. Take some time to let those people know you’re thinking of them and appreciate their service.
- Observe the national moment of remembrance at 3 p.m. on Monday, May 28. Established by Congress, the one-minute observance is a chance for all Americans to pause in the middle of their summer celebrations to remember the sacrifices of our nation’s heroes.
From simple and small to noble and inspiring, Memorial Day is one more way we can all make a difference in our communities and show our gratitude for those who have left behind a legacy of valor and service.
In observance of the Memorial Day holiday, all PlainsCapital Bank branches will be closed on Monday, May 28, 2018. PlainsCapital Bank customers can always access their accounts through the online banking feature available on the PlainsCapital Bank website and through mobile banking which is available on iPhone and Android mobile devices with the PlainsCapital Bank app.